Origin of the names Birmingham and Moseley
The name of Birmingham indicates that in Saxon times Berm (man’s name) and his family (ing) made their ham (home) here. Moseley is a corruption of Mouse ley (field).
In 2011 Mosely celebrated its 100th year as a suburb of Birmingham
1405 St. Mary’s Row and the Church
In 1405 the residents of Moseley obtained a licence for their own chapel. Completion of the first small building is of uncertain date; a chaplain was recorded in 1446. The tower was begun in 1513 but long unfinished. Forty eight loads of dressed stone from Bromsgrove Old Parsonage were used in it, so the worn blocks may be 700 years old.
The tower was the village refuge, defensible against attack evidenced by the original slit windows. The buttresses and decorated windows are later additions. The clock was restored recently having being originally installed in 1857.
1732 A view of Birmingham from Moseley and the South West
Mosely is a village in Worcestershire looking over the Rea valley to the vilages of Edgbaston and Birmingham in Warwickshire
1840 Tithe Map
This shows the coming of the railway but no houses or Moseley station. This building of a railway line from Birmingham to Gloucester was authorised by Act of Parliament in 1836.
Moseley school is built in the Gothic revival style designed by the architect Joseph James.
1867 Moseley Station opened.
Moseley station was added to the Birmingham to Worcester railway, now Midland Railway, in 1867. The existing station in Kings Heath, called Moseley, was renamed Kings Heath.A timber bridge took Blayney Street, renamed Woodbridge Road, over the railway until it burned down and was replaced in 1894 by the brick structure.
The 1868 entry for Moseley in Kelly’s Directory reads: “Moseley is a village two and a half miles south from Birmingham and three and a half miles north from Kings Norton, on the high road to Evesham; in the western division of the county of Worcestershire, union and parish of Kings Norton……The village is pleasant and possesses fine scenery …. …the population in 1861 was 1491 …… omnibuses to Birmingham from the Fighting Cocks ten times a day”
The Trafalgar Inn, now the Patrick Kavagnah dates from1875. It was backed by a large skating rink, which has been demolished. Caroline Place is c.1860. The Police Station was opened c.1900, being built off-street for lack of frontage sites. Beyond it, amid large gardens, was the Arnold School, one of Moseley’s many private seats of learning. Mount Street is the back lane that separates the gardens of Alcester and Trafalgar Roads.
1884 Steam tram service
1890 Moseley Station
“There is no more prettier station or more picturesque situated than that which was opened at Moseley about seventeen years ago… “.
1891 Uffculme House
Uffculme House was built by the Cadbury family next to their Highbury House and overlloking HIghbury Park.
Moseley Village in 1895
1899 The “Fighting Cocks” pub is opened, the post office in 1900
Moseley becomes a district of Birmingham.
If you have additional information or images please contact Brendan Patchell